The Society for Historical Archaeology Awards Committee is pleased to announce its call for nominations for the 2014 John L. Cotter Award. Established in 1988, the award is named in honor of John Lambert Cotter (1911â€“1999), a pioneer educator and advocate for the discipline, and is presented to recognize outstanding achievement by an individual at the start of his/her career in historical archaeology. The individual can either be in training as undergraduate or graduate students or professionals at the beginning of their careers. The award is given for a single achievement that is truly outstanding in its respective category, but the nature and variety of categories are open. An achievement may be the production of an individual item (e.g., a first book) or a more general category (e.g., building historical archaeology within a local archaeological society). Examples of such achievements include.
The range and variety of contributions and achievements is fully open, however, and the categories listed above are only obvious examples.
Nominations will consist of the items listed below. The nominee and the primary nominator or nominators must be SHA members. The entire nomination packet must be assembled, made into a PDF, and submitted via e-mail to the Chair of the Awards Committee by no later than October 31, 2013.
1. A nomination cover sheet for the John L. Cotter Award in Historical Archaeology, which should include: (1) submission date of the nomination and (2) the full name, address, and all contact information for both the nomineeand primary nominator(s) (including, for both, a street address, an e-mail address, and office, home, and cell phone numbers).
2. A formal, dated statement, in letter format and signed by the primary nominator(s), documenting the reasons for the nomination (maximum length 5 double-spaced pages).
2. An up-to-date C.V. for the nominee;
3. A copy or sample of the specific achievement (as applicable; if materials can not be e-mailed, as with a book, etc., please see address below);
4. Supporting materials (as appropriate), including summations or different evidence of the achievement and no morethan three (3) letters of support to be included with the nomination packet (letters or materials mailed or e-mailed separately to the Chair of the Awards Committee apart from the nomination packet will not be included in the nomination). Support letters should be no more than two pages in length.
Note: Secondary nominators are not required, but if used they can either add their names to the original nomination statement and they may write one of the three (3) support letters for the nomination. Secondary nominators, unlike the primary nominator(s), do not have to be members of the SHA or even in the field of historical archaeology.
If you have questions, please contact SHA Awards Committee Chair Teresita Majewski, firstname.lastname@example.org;(520) 721-4309. Mailing address: Statistical Research, Inc., 6099 East Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85712.