This year at the SHA Annual Conference, GMAC will be holding a diversity photo competition. The competition is part of a broader effort by the SHA to promote and encourage a more diverse SHA. The purpose of this photo competition is to display how we as historical archaeologists embrace diversity as an essential part of what we do as anthropologists. Photos should demonstrate the views of the photographer of how they view diversity in their day to day interactions as a practicing anthropologist and archaeologist, but not limited to gender, age, ethnicity, or just standardized ideas of diversity. The role of the photographer to explain how and why their photo represents diversity with the goal of expanding how diversity can be and is viewed.
- The contest is open to all SHA members
- The Contest Opens On November 20th 2014
- The Deadline for Entry is December 15th 2013
- Photos must have been taken between January 1 2012 and November 2013 to be eligible for entry.
- Winners will be announced at the 2014 SHA Meeting in Quebec City.
- Only individual entries will be accepted. No group entries.
- Only one entry per person.
- Submitted image must be an original photo (with only brightness and/or contrast adjusted) taken by the person who enters the photo for consideration in the contest. The image must tell a story about how and why historical archaeology embraces diversity within the profession, the field and society.
- In addition to a photo, you must submit a title for your photo and a maximum 200-word description of your photo. This description, along with your photo, will be used by the panel of judges to select the top three winning entries as well as up to three honorable mention winners if so needed.
- A people’s choice winner will also be selected by vote of SHA members selecting the picture the like as displayed on the SHA Facebook page.
- Photo should be a TIFF or JPG format large enough to create at least and 8” x 11” photo for display. Print resolution should be no less than 1600 x 1200 pixels minimum. If you are looking at camera megapixels it should be no less than 6+ megapixels capture resolution.
- Submissions for the contest should be posted to the following box link folder by the deadline by no later than Midnight PST. https://app.box.com/s/wruf7p7onc668hq5cely
- All Photos will also be placed on the SHA Facebook page and the one receiving the highest number of ‘Likes’ will be selected as a People’s Choice Winner
Owner retains copyright of submitted image. If your photo is selected as a place winner or an honorable mention, you give The Society for Historical Archaeology and The Gender and Minority Affairs Committee permission to use your photo’s in future publications whether print or digital and to publish your photo on the SHA website (www.sha.org/) and/or in the SHA Newsletter or Blog.
The Winning Photographers
- Receive a certificate signed by the SHA President announcing their achievement
- Will be published in an upcoming issue of the SHA Newsletter, be featured on the SHA Facebook Page and Blog, and Publicly Displayed at the 2014 SHA Meeting in Quebec City.
Submit questions about the GMAC 2013 Photo Contest to Lewis Jones, SHA GMAC Photo Contest Committee Chair, via email at email@example.com.